A long-term vegan, Isobel Lentaigne, felt ‘physically sick’ after mistakenly eating meat present in a ‘vegan’ Sainsbury’s wrap. This happened right after she returned from taking part in a vegan protest in the Bristol City Center.
It is undoubtedly a vegan’s worst nightmare to unknowingly consume meat, especially from what was supposed to be a meat-free meal.
According to the 21-year old vegan activist, she discovered that the wrap contained hoisin duck along with falafel, which made her think the two ingredients were probably wrongly mixed in the factory.
While talking to Bristol Post about the incident, Lentaigne said: “I feel sick. I had been taking part in the Anonymous for the Voiceless demonstration in town all day while I ate this wrap without realising what was in it.
She mistakenly ate the wrap that contained duck meat. (Image source: Pixabay)
After purchasing the meal and consuming some of it, she went into a pub.
“I ate half of it during the day and then put it in my bag. It was only when I got to the pub and actually looked at it that I realized,” she said.
“Everyone said it was meat. I think it’s hoisin, based on the smell. I have been vegan for four and a half years and I am shocked.”
Lentaigne, who has been a vegan for more than four years, also said even the thought of meat makes her sick. She believes that meat is not a meal; she see it as parts of an animal that has suffered, and it sickens her to think of having those parts inside her.
The vegan activist also threw jabs at Sainsbury’s, saying, “The fact I bought this with a clear label stating it was suitable for vegans and vegetarians and I trusted Sainsbury’s only to then find actual meat in my wrap, it’s really bad.”
The incident left Lentaigne shattered and she now thinks she has to re-evaluate her supermarket shopping. She believes all the vegetarians should be allowed to check ingredient lists on products before they purchase them, in order to avoid similar incidents.
Sainsbury’s has also responded to the incident and said the matter is being investigated.
“We’re investigating with our supplier and would like to offer our apologies to Isobel,” the spokesperson said.